Monday, September 22, 2008

What Do You Do When A Good Friend Starts Calling Everyone "Boss"?

Oh, this is a crisis all right. Good friend, known him a long time. Generous, a savant in all things mechanistic, a sailing god. And somewhere along the line he started calling strangers Boss.

It could be worse, I suppose. He could call them Chief. But Boss? Oh, Boss is bad enough.

There we were at the Waffle House, the server before us: "I'll have the homefries with sausage gravy, Boss," he said. Boss. I almost choked on my broccoli florets. What does one do about this? Is physical violence off limits? Do I affect an atmospheric disdain? But I do that all the time anyway; how is he to know?

Oh, oh, oh. This changes everything. How can you think you know a person well, and then learn he calls people Boss?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you should start calling him "servant" or, in a horribly tortured French accent, "Garson" or whatever that guy is called over there. No, it is best to call him "Skippy" as in, quick, fetch my overcoat, Skippy, and don't be all day about it.

Marghie said...

Could be worse. He could be calling everyone "Twinkle Toes",
"Pumpkin", "Tulip", "Poopsie"...

Anonymous said...

Biden's dad called him "Champ". That OK with you, Skippy?